In the past few days I had the unfortunate need to attend Telford's Princess Royal Hospital. My sister had been rushed there in an emergency and was in the Intensive Care Unit. Sadly she didn't make it.
I was told that the nurse had invited myself and other family members to go in and see her as she was fighting for her life and the prognosis wasn't good. I don't remember seeing a single nurse during the 2 hours I was there. My sister was on a life support machine and had been put into an induced coma. At no time did I see any signs instructing me to wash my hands or apply any bacterial hand cream and at no time was I asked if I had done so! I held my sisters hand as any brother wood do. When I raised my concerns in conversation with my family some of them said that there were signs there but I must admit that I didn't see any! Maybe I was in shock? Would I be looking for them under the circumstances? Why wasn't there a nurse there to ensure that hygiene standards were upheld? Its supposed to be important isn't it? We don't yet know why my sister died but in view of the fact that, on reading her notes, I noticed that a blood sample had been taken from her to check for Swine Flu which surprised me somewhat! The implications are horrendous!
It seems to me that this hospital will never learn the lessons that I thought had been pretty much fully addressed in the NHS? Clearly not!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.