Monday, 11 February 2013

The urban fox - friend or foe?

After the recent publicity about an urban fox attacking a young child I have to say I find it very difficult to believe! For a fox to enter someone's house I find hard to believe let alone attack a human (child or adult). Yes there are lots of urban foxes about, especially in the large conurbations, but in my view they are only there because there is food! No other reason - full stop! Get rid of the food and they will go away! I have noticed on my travels that many of the London Borough's for instance still have plastic rubbish bag collections! How archaic is that? We have all seen these bags on the side of the road ripped open! Where I live, on a typical 70's estate in Worcestershire, we have had wheelie bins now for years and the only fox I have seen near our house in recent years is one that was clever enough to find a regularly stocked dog's food bowl in a nearby garden. I have witnessed first hand the dog and fox arguing about whose food it was! Other than that I just can't think of any food supply available where I live other than just down the road where there is a farm and of course some chickens. As a wildlife photographer I know how shy and timid foxes normally are. OK they do tend to lose a little of their suspicious nature when they are living with humans around and of course when they are desperately hungry but to attack a child I think is very very rare if not impossible! If we humans are so concerned about the threat from animals to our welfare then we should turn our attention to our biggest menace! Dogs! They can kill and maim and have been proved to do so on many occasions  They also crap everywhere which is also a serious health hazard, especially to children playing! If we're up for a cull then lets get rid of some of the millions of dogs that swarm our streets and country walks and their irresponsible owners too dare I say? That would definitely improve everyone's safety and make the country a nicer, cleaner and safer environment in which to live! Leave the humble fox alone I say!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.